Repairs responsibilities

There are some repairs that residents have to do themselves. These will differ for tenants, shared owners and leaseholders; if your landlord undertakes repairs that are your responsibility they may recharge the costs to you.

Landlord Regulatory Requirements

All social housing landlords are regulated by the Regulator of Social Housing which sets a series of requirements; these are called the Regulatory Standards.

The Regulatory Standard for repairs is the Home Standard – ensuring that social housing landlords maintain properties and carry out their repairing responsibilities.

Landlord responsibilities

All social housing landlords have a duty to maintain the communal areas in their buildings and grounds. Where a landlord does not properly maintain their communal areas residents have rights to complain and challenge the failure to properly maintain these areas.

What is a landlord responsible for maintaining?

In communal areas:

  • Lifts
  • Doors and door entry systems
  • Outside walls, doors, gates, windows, windowsills, window catches and window frames including external painting and external decoration
  • Communal water tanks and associated supply pipework
  • Communal heating systems and associated supply pipework and cabling
  • Communal lighting systems and associated supply cabling
  • Emergency exit signage and lighting
  • Communal sprinkler and firefighting equipment
  • Bin chutes, hoppers and storage chambers
  • Grounds, hedges and trees
  • Pathways, steps or other means of access
  • Boundary walls and fences
  • Paving and access roads that do not form part of the public highway
  • Play areas
  • Garage and storeshed blocks
  • Communal bin storage facilities
  • Car parking facilities

Leaseholder responsibilities

What is a leaseholder responsible for repairing?

  • Installations for the supply of water, gas and electricity, sanitation and heating including; basins, sinks, baths, shower attachments, WCs, water pipes, waste pipes, electric wiring including sockets and switches, central heating systems, radiators, boilers, immersion heaters and valves
  • Kitchen units and built-in cupboards
  • Internal walls, floors (including floor coverings) and ceilings, doors and frames, door hinges and skirting boards
  • Internal drainage systems excluding stack pipes
  • Plaster work (excluding minor repairs which would normally be dealt with during internal decoration)
  • Boundary walls and fences
  • Broken window glass
  • Replacing door furniture and toilet roll holders
Was this article helpful?